Beginner to paid professional course

Do I need actual hardware for this course or can it be done virtually?

1 Like

Hi sir,

The short answer is that you don’t need hardware to learn. However, you’d certainly benefit from hands-on experience.

I would add to the above by saying that it truly depends on your goals. You can land a job without touching any hardware. You’re not expected to have hands on experience. It’s also difficult to do anything with a PLC alone and recruiters understand that. In other words, even if you purchase a PLC, you can’t run motors, valves, etc. What I recommend is that you simulate most of that. You can use tools such as FactoryIO for that purpose.

I typically recommend that you at the very least purchase a MicroLogix 1100 PLC - It runs RSLogix 500 which isn’t the same as we teach on the RSLogix 5000 side, but it has all the same instructions and is still heavily used in the industry. You’ll learn everything you need on that platform.

Hope that helps…
Vlad

1 Like

Thanks for the response. So with this course can I learn virtually only? I plan on getting the micro logix 1100, but until I do, can I follow your course in the virtual environment (emulator)?