Best PLC Programming Tools - Laptops, Multimeters, Cables, Screwdriver Sets, Switches, and more…

One of the most frequently asked questions on various social media platforms and groups related to PLC programming, control systems engineering, and industrial automation is - what are the best tools for engineers, technicians, and managers in this field? Our goal on this page is to provide you with some options if you’re looking to get started in the field, are searching for an upgrade, or are looking for a gift for someone who works in industrial automation.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.solisplc.com/tutorials/best-plc-programming-tools-laptops-multimeters-cables-screwdriver-sets-switches-and-more

As a controls systems engineer at a systems integrator company, I work a lot with analog signal for water tank levels and burner loop controllers. I highly recommend a loop simulator that output 0-20mA and 0-10Vdc. You can get a fluke that has this capability but those meters are very costly. Personally, I have the loop sim from TW controls, it’s very cost effective and brilliant device. This tool is great for loop checks to verify control panel quality or troubleshooting signal issues.

1 Like

Good call, I have both the loop simulator and the EtherNet “sniffer” from Tim and they’re both great. I’ll add those to the list over the weekend; thank you for the suggestion.

Do you have a recommendation for terminal screwdrivers?

You have two options of brands - Wiha and Wera. They have everything from the small screwdrivers for terminals to large insulated ones for larger components - breakers, fuse blocks, relays, etc. I’d browse through their catalogs and select what you feel would be best. I have screwdrivers from both brands and of different sizes they’re all excellent.

1 Like