Flashing PLC Firmware - Complete Guide for an Allen Bradley CompactLogix PLC

Flashing the Firmware of a Programmable Logic Controller (PLC) is one of the fundamental setup tasks every control engineer must go through. That being said, flashing the firmware is not as straightforward as one might think. You need to know which software to use, which version of firmware to choose, know how to connect to your processor and which procedure to follow.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.solisplc.com/tutorials/flashing-plc-firmware-complete-guide-for-an-allen-bradley-compactlogix-plc

Hi… I attempted to begin the venture utilizing RSLogix 5000 (V20.01.00 (CPR 9 SR 5)). I entered the part number in the New Controller discourse and afterward went to enter the Revision in the drop-down box. Just update 20 was selectable - the rest were turned gray out. This incited me to look what correction the regulator was and a sticker on its container said FW 1.005 (which appears to be low for a regulator made a month ago yet I’m certain somebody can clarify why this is.

1 Like

Probably bit too late now. Rockwell always sends out their CPU with Firmware like 1.005. It is better to use Controlflash to change the firmware. Using ControlFlash you select the firmware to flash the CPU from available firmware in your PC. Newer ControlFlash Plus allows you to download additional Firmware for the connected hardware, provided you logged in to your Rockwell account.

2 Likes