How to download RSLogix 500, RSLogix 500 Emulate, and RSLinx for free

The simplest method of getting into PLC Programming is to use an emulator. However, locating the proper files may be troublesome as Rockwell Automation has created a very intricate process to access them. Furthermore, downloading from third-party sites may be unsafe due to viruses and corrupted versions of the required software.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.solisplc.com/tutorials/downloading-a-free-copy-of-rslogix-500-rslogix-500-emulate-rslinx
1 Like

Is there a version that is Windows 10 compatible, or do I have to get a computer with the older operating systems in order to participate in the course?

Hi Joshua,

All the RSLogix 500 versions and software are compatible with Windows 10. The tutorial that is mentioned in this thread was developed under Windows 10; I’ve personally found no issues when it comes to Windows 10 compatibility.

1 Like

Hi Vladimir
To download RSLogix 500, RsLogix Emulate, and RSLinx for free I follow all the above steps, but in the end, need to enter a company name, but now I don’t have a company, so how can I download RSLogix 500, RsLogix Emulate, and RSLinx ?

Hi Vladimir
To download RSLogix 500, RsLogix Emulate, and RSLinx for free I follow all the above steps, but in the end, need to enter a company name, but now I don’t work in a company, so how can I download RSLogix 500, RsLogix Emulate, and RSLinx ?

You can enter any company name and proceed with the download.

Hello @VRomanov
I am using Windows 10, the installation for RSLogix Micro and RSLogix Emulate 500 goes well and finishes.
But the RSLinx Classic fails, giving a warning that FactoryTalk Diagnostics 2.30 (CPR 9 SR 3) needs to be installed first… when I try to install FactoryTalk Diagnostics 2.30 (CPR 9 SR 3) it stops at Configuring DCOM permissions and the installation fails.
I’ve tried and searched a lot but still no solution…
Do you happen to know the reason ?

1 Like

There can be many reasons for DCMO errors… Try this based on a knowledgebase article:

1. Click Start, then click Run or Search, type dcomcnfg and open it
  2. Expand Component Services → Computers → My Computer → DCOM Config
  3. Scroll down to Rockwell Directory Multiplexer, right-click it and select Properties.
  4. On the Security tab, under Launch and Activation Permissions, click Edit
  5. Write down all groups or users listed, and their respective security settings
  6. Remove all groups and users listed and apply these settings
  7. Add them back in, apply settings and reboot
2 Likes

Thank you so much for your help, @VRomanov !
I only could find RSLogix 500 Pro under DCOM Config, but I changed it’s settings anyway as you mentioned and now the program is installed.
Have a great day :blush:

2 Likes

@VRomanov
Hello everyone! My name is Exzabein and I am new to the SolisPLC community and I’m pretty novice about all of this stuff. I just signed up for a class and I am having some trouble downloading emulators to start the class due to it not being compatible with Mac, can anybody help me in this area?

Hi Exzabein,

Welcome to the community and the forums.

You do need a Windows environment to run most of controls systems software. You can use a VM service on a Mac to run windows. I’ve personally used Parallels to run a copy of Windows on which I loaded various Rockwell Automation tools. Keep in mind that Parallels has a paid license; I believe it was ~100$ a few years ago.

Let us know if you have any questions about that!

Vlad

1 Like

Thanks Vlad!

So is parallels able to run the programs with no problems? Has anybody had any problems with compatibility using it on Mac?

I’ve used it for 4 or so years now and haven’t had any problems. I have to use an external Ethernet dongle for a physical connection (no port on a Mac), which gave me some grief at the start, but none after I configured it properly.

Ok Vlad,
So I got the 3 RSLogix download and also I think I got the Parallels installed too but not quite sure if its fully installed. Im not sure why its not installing. Im under a trial version for parallels. Who else is using Mac that can help me with this or would you be able to do a training video on it?

E.MIller

Exzabein,

I would probably reach out to Parallels for installation support as they should be able to figure out what the issue is before you proceed. Once you can install their tool & Windows on your Mac, I can help you out with any installation issues on the RSLogix side.

On the same note, it would be helpful to post the messages / errors you are getting. It’s impossible to provide adequate help without those.

Vlad

Hi,
I have installed this software but i want to upload program from SLC5 plc but in software slc5 plc not present
kindly let me know how i can upload program from slc5 plc

Hello, I followed the steps and I am still unable to download.
it says I have Export Hold in the download section.

I followed all the steps, but after clicking “Accept and Download” I got the following: “an error occurred while getting download urls”

Any idea on what’s going on, and how to fix it?

I tried downloading the same files anew, and it’s working fine now, although it looks like there is a slight change to the download process.

I did not have a license.is there any way that i can download these softwares?