License AB software

If I want to license PLC software for Allen Bradely PLC’s, what are the costs for say RSLogic 500? How do you get the license? Through a distributor?

1 Like

Yes, done through authorised distributor of Rockwell products. It will be registered under your company name. When you install this in a PC or laptop, you will also need internet connection (else it can be done through USB memory stick, which still needs to taken to another PC which has internet connection) to activate the software. The Rockwell installation software will install RSLinx (communication program to connect to PLC), as well as Factory Talk Activation Manager to activate the software. The activated software will only work in that computer (it is node locked to the hard drive). If and when the computer in which software activated, has failed, then it can be recovered to another machine by talking to Rockwell Tech support. Depending on your needs, you may want to consider Rockwell Tech support contract as well. This is particularly useful when the PLC or software is behaving in strange way, which is out of ordinary. Example on start up the software show some error and hangs or shuts down. Finally you will need right kind of software to connect Rockwell PLCs. Generally RSLogix 500 will connect to SLC and Micrologix types. For Compact and ControlLogix you will need either RSLogix 5000 or Studio 5000.

1 Like

Hey @smclaugh5 ,

Welcome to the SolisPLC Forum!

If you’re looking for RSLogix 500, you can download it for free. Here is a step by step tutorial on how to do that: How to download RSLogix 500, RSLogix 500 Emulate, and RSLinx for free. [Updated 2022]

When it comes to RSLogix 5000, you’ll have to contact your local Rockwell distributor like @ralaad mentioned.

If you’re just getting started with PLC programming, RSLogix 500 should do the job.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Cheers,
Karim

Why not start with a Micro 800 (series), Panelview 800 and Connected Components Workbench? I already know PLC programming, just not AB. Seems like RS500 stuff is fazing out.

We’ve debated about creating Micro800 / CCW content. The reality, based on our experience, is that there’s little of that line in mid to large facilities in North America. RSLogix 500 is still found in most facilities while Micro800 is very rare. Furthermore, most of our customers have been requesting RSLogix 500 / 5000 coverage over Micro800 / CCW.

All that said, if there’s enough interest, we’ll put it on our content calendar.

What HMI do you recommend to go with the trainer kit MicroLogic 1100 you recommend? What is the software required for HMI to go with RSL500 or is that all that is needed?

Can i download my work place software to another computer , just for training? Knowing it has only 1 key. Is there any problem ?

1 Like

Hi Adam,

Unfortunately you do need a license per PC. The only workaround I’ve found is to have a VM that will run for 7 days and at the end of the period you reset it.

Hope that helps,
Vlad

1 Like

what hardware is needed to start practicing?