MicroLogix Series 1000 Troubleshooting

Hello, I’m having difficulties getting my MicroLogix Series 1000 to communicate with my laptop.
I have been provided with RSLogix 500 two cables for this. The first cable is from the PLC (the pin connector end). The second cable is a Male adapter to hook up the first cable via USB.
The Model# for the PLC is CF-40T-L32BWA
The Cable# is Allen-Bradley 1761-CBL-PM02.SER.C

I have looked up online and it seems that maybe I need a new cable (1747-UIC) to communicate properly.

Did I do my homework right, or am I missing something?

Sincerely,
Dverbanick

1 Like

Hi Dverbanick,

The cable you have on hand will work with the MicroLogix 1100. The 1747-UIC is also an option. The difference between the two is that the first one communicates directly over RS232 while the other is an RS484 converter.

I’ve seen both used; both cables will require a USB converter if you don’t have a serial port on your PC which most don’t. I’d recommend buying a known brand as some of the cheap USB converters may give you issues.

I’d use the cable you have on hand, select RS232 / Serial on RSLinx and try connecting that way before buying the other cable.

Vlad

1 Like

exactly what plc do you have a 1400, the code should start with 1766? How many ports does the plc have, one db9, one ethernet and the circular connector? I have had problems with this type of PLC and when it does not connect serial in 232 it is 485, so you are going to have to buy that converter.

Thank you for all your input. It turns out that the solution was in fact to buy a new cable. The cable we had ended up being faulty, as it didn’t show up in the Comm Ports the second time I tried using it. I ordered in a new RS232 cable and that ended up working just fine. I guess it was just a hardware issue after all. Thanks again for your help!

2 Likes