Need advice / I/O electrical technician Amazon

hi everyone,

I’m new to the community and I need urgent information or advice.

I’m graduated with electronics and control degree where my studies involve PLC and automation Systems. I have worked 1 year towards my degree as instrumentation and control engineer
at oil and gas wells where my job was not hands-on at all and that was in Saudi Arabia. I have moved to Canada since then started switching jobs. now I will get to the point

recently I have been accepted as I/O electrical technician at a new Amazon facility being built where my main duty is PLC check out on conveyer belt system the job is testing (commissioning)
not programing it would involve photo eyes, encoders, actuators, control stations, three-phase motors, Vfd’s, beacon lights. and the system they are using is Honeywell

my PLC knowledge is theory and weak I have been taking some courses on youtube and I saw you guys that your experts worked at Amazon and provide training
my intention is to have more knowledge in PLC and develop my career by understanding automation more.

it would be helpful if someone worked there and tell me what to expect and what areas of skills should I focus on more?

I hope that I can find some answers here

I appreciate the community

thank you
Saleh Almiahimeed

1 Like

Hi Saleh,

Welcome to SolisPLC.

I haven’t worked at Amazon myself, but I’ve spoken to many engineers / technicians that have. From my understanding, if you’ve received an offer, they’ll train you and make sure that you get the right skills. I wouldn’t be too concerned.

I’d start by getting familiar with RSLogix 500 and 5000 as those are the main platforms in North America. I’d also have general knowledge around other platforms. Focus on the basics; understand the fundamental instructions of ladder logic, how to troubleshoot, how to diagnose wiring problems, etc.

All the best; let us know how it goes!

• Vlad
1 Like

Hi Saleh
Brush up on basic electrical wiring, particularly those involving digital inputs and outputs (switches of all kinds - micro, proximity, sensors and relays, solenoids and contactors). Generally PLC inputs and outputs are Low voltage DC (24 V DC) circuits, but there could be other voltages as well. some times they involve interface relays (which change the circuit from one voltage to other). Get yourself educated about 2 wire, 3 wire and 4 wire sensors. Sensors can be PNP or NPN meaning positive switching or negative. PLC input cards come in many types, learn about source and sink type. Many PLCs use 4 to 20 mA sensors (also called 2 wire) as a current loop. If analog output sensor they will be wired to an analog input card, again generally 4 to 20 mA input, but you can come across 0 to 20mA, 0 to 10 V and other combination as well. Current output sensors need to be wired to current input PLC card and voltage output sensors to voltage input card, though some cards accept both current and voltage input (with software and hardware modifications). PLC also provides analog output cards, they will be wired up to devices which accept analog signal for control purposes (example a modulating valve). Finally many PLCs work in combination with variable frequency drives (which control motor speeds) abbreviated to VFD or VSD as well as with other PLCs (for signal exchange). When you are familiar with basic stuff, you can progress to advanced topics. Depending on the make and model of PLC certain details will change, so you will have get user manual about switches, relays, PLC cards etc that are applicable for your situation. Good luck with your new job.

1 Like

thank you so much guys for the clarification and the motivation
will I find these practical courses in Solicplc video’s library .
i will keep you updated what i am facing

1 Like