PLC Programming MSG Instruction - Send Data Between MicroLogix & CompactLogix PLCs Studio 5000 Tutorial

Sending data between two Programmable Logic Controllers can pose a challenge. However, in the current manufacturing environments, it’s an absolute must. One of the simplest ways to pass data between two controllers would be through the use of the MSG instruction. This instruction would be utilized within the RSLogix 5000 or Studio 5000 programming environments on an Allen Bradley PLC and Write or Read data from a different PLC.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.solisplc.com/tutorials/plc-programming-msg-instruction-send-data-between-micrologix-compactlogix-plcs-studio-5000-tutorial

Hello, my name is Tim ,
I am having issuse with MSG instruction. I am using a 5069-L320ER Versoin 32.11 to send and recive messiging from a MicroLogix 1400. I am getting ( Parameter error in module configuration) error. I have double check my data types. Even used a L32E and was able to send messages. Has anyone had this problem in the past?

1 Like

Hey Tim!

That error code is generic for a number of issues that occur in case of a message instruction. I would check that 1. You have the correct path to your MicroLogix 1400 PLC; the path is tricky in many instances and may cause the error if you aren’t getting to the EtherNet port of the ML1400. 2. Check that you’re using “SLC Typed Read” / “SLC Typed Write” and that you can write read the tags you’re using (it’s possible to restrict the tags to read only). 3. Check that you’re using CIP as the communication method.

Other than that, you should try to simplify the system. Are both PLCs on the same subnet? If not, I’d try to connect them via a direct cable and see if that works. Next, do both instructions give you the same error? Can you try with a blank program in each PLC? Has any config of the ports been changed?

1 Like

While it is simple for one, or even a couple of messages, there are some complexities that are not very well explained in the AB manuals regarding multiple messages with the same device.

Does anyone have additional information/tips for how to set up, say 25 messages to/from the same device? There’s a vendor system that does not have all read/write tags consolidated into arrays, as would be preferred. This results in a large number of CIP Data Table Read MSGs. The manual mentions using the “Connected” and “Cache Connections” options in the Communications tab.

So, according to this, I would want to use logic to only have one message enabled at a time, and use the Cache Connection option. Correct? What’s the best way to go through all of the messages in the fastest, most efficient way?