Should I start with RSLogix 500 or 5000?

Hey there,

I’m transitioning into a new role and would like to get comfortable programming PLC. I was thinking about getting started with RSLogix 500 as it seems easier but was wondering if it’s better to just go straight to RSLogix 5000 and then maybe go back to RSLogix 500 later?

Any advice would be great!

Hey Alex,

If you are currently working in a RSLogix 5000 environment, I’d recommend going with that. If you’re new to PLCs and are just getting started, I would recommend RSLogix 500. The reason is that RSLogix 500 is simpler from a software standpoint and it’s much less forgiving. In other words, you’ll learn the core data structures and build a strong base before moving into 5000. Lastly, unless you already have access to hardware that’s running RSLogix 5000, you’ll save quite a bit with the older PLCs that run RSLogix 500.

Cheers,
Vlad

1 Like

Hi Vlad,

thanks a lot for the advice! I think you’re right, getting started with RSLogix 500 makes a lot of sense.

Best,
Alex

Alex23, I am a newbie also. Can I ask what you are doing to learn. Are you taking courses on Udemy, Vlads courses are awesome on Solis. I am more looking to learn how to troubleshoot and modify existing plc’s and work with both 500 and 5000 and modicon.

Hey @Rouz6, I just started the Beginner to Paid Professional course and so far it’s very detailed and well structured. I’d highly recommend it.

I tried to watch videos on Youtube, but I prefer the structure and in-depth explanations I get from a course + I can get all my questions answered here on the forum which helps with the learning.

Good luck with your learning!

Thanks for the reply, I understand what you mean, there are 100’s of videos on YouTube but I agree I need the structure of a course. I am going to join today you helped make up my mind. I appreciate it. Good luck to you, talk to you again.

1 Like

I reccommend that you learn RSLogix 5000 first (if available) if you cannot get access to the software, than of course use 500. My reasons are that you learn so much more from using 5000 than 500.

Just my thoughts.

1 Like

What you choose to learn is generally dictated by what is readily available to you. I started with the old Texas Instrument 500 platform because that was the only software in use at the facility where i worked. Seeing the same software used in different applications - conveyor control, batching, sorting etc - would continually reinforce my previous learning. Transitioning to other platforms -I’ve since worked with Siemens, Allen Bradley (500 and 5000), Omron, Mistsubishi - is easier once you are comfortable with one. Another factor is your location. AB is big in North America, Siemens is big in Europe (and with European integrators) .
The AB 500 platform is being phased out. That doesn’t mean you won’t encounter it in your travels. This software/hardware has proven reliable. Most people won’t upgrade until the scarcity of replacement components forces them to do so.

1 Like

I recommend you start with Rslogix 5000 because for me it is more friendly and intuitive, the ease of placing the name of the label (ej Start_button) is easier than using addresses (eg I.0.0)

2 Likes

Whatever software you use to start, I highly recommend getting a used Micrologix 1100 on ebay. The emulator is great for ladder logic, but won’t help at all for hardware wiring and hardware configuration.

2 Likes

Hey everyone!

thanks a lot for the advice :smiley:

Emulators are great but as many of you mentioned getting a used PLC is the best way to go. I’ll be looking for a used Micrologix 1100 on eBay.